“Making Waves, Staying Current”
The Current is East Lansing’s only full-color arts-and-culture magazine. Developed for and by Michigan State University students, our quarterly publications and weekly online exclusives amplify our voices and experiences.
The Current is a student-run news outlet that operates on an experiential learning model to hone the crafts of journalism and publication/project management. Our topics and corresponding social media campaigns represent the values and interests of our staff and readers. We publish with a unique and authentic voice to exemplify quality journalism for our readers.
We strive to be an exceptional experiential learning environment for students where they can perfect their digital publishing portfolio.
- Generating content that is professional, relevant and engaging
- Examining current events, topics and issues through an accurate and unbiased lens
- Providing students with meaningful professional writing experiences
- Maintaining consistency of brand and voice
- Engaging with campus, local and statewide communities
- Learning and upholding professional and ethical methods of communication and journalism
- Publish four seasonal print editions of the magazine.
- Produce online exclusives for the website.
- Maintain a social media presence on Instagram and Twitter.
- Create an environment for students to learn the craft of journalism, build their portfolios, and gain skills for future employment.
- Assume a high standard of editorial practice.
- Improve their online and print presence every semester with regards to content topics, quality of finished deliverables, accessibility and voice.